Canon ink monitor - How to disable (twin cartridge printers)
Canon ink printer refusing to print with 'The following ink has run out' error..?
This page explains why you're seing this The following ink has run out error, what it means and how to reset it.
Canon ink printers are programmed to stop printing, before running out of ink. Handy feature - unless you want to refill your ink cartridges, or use up the remaining ink. If you do (refill), your printer has no way of checking that you've added ink and consequently will continue treating the refilled cartridge as empty and refuse to print with The following ink has run out error message.
Note: The following info applies to Canon printers that use twin cartridges (1 x black & 1 x tri-colour). If your printer uses individual ink tanks, you can find the correct info here.
How to clear 'Ink has run out'..?
- Install new ink cartridge
- Disable printer ink monitoring
There are NO chip resetters or auto-reset ink cartridges available for any twin cartridge Canon printer, so these are your only choices.
To disable Canon ink monitoring...
Simply follow the ink monitor messages from your printer, similar to the pics below. If you use a multi function (eg MB, MP, MG, MX, TR, TS etc) printer, similar messages should also display on the printer LCD.
1) When your Canon printer decides a colour ink cartridge is close to empty, you should see this (or similar) message:
Do nothing....it should clear itself.
1A) Or...if black cartridge is close to empty, the message would look more like this:
2) Then you should get this message:
Press and hold the STOP button until the error clears. Don't cancel printing.
If your printer doesn't have STOP button, try pressing RESET or CANCEL button instead. Hold the button until the Alarm LED stops glowing and/or the error message clears. This should take 5-6 secs.
Note: If your printer uses one LED for the black and one for the colour cartridge, they may stay on permanently even with the ink monitor disabled. This shouldn't prevent printing.
No buttons on the printer?
Some late model Canon printers don't have any buttons on the control panel (except on/off) and everything is set on the touch screen LCD. The disabling process is similar to above, except instead of holding a STOP button for few seconds, you will be prompted to touch the 'OK' button (on LCD).
There may also be one extra step in the process asking you to confirm your refilled cartridges are not counterfeit. Click NO.
3) Then this message should pop up. Note the exclamation mark and black ink level are no longer showing. Congratulations! You've successfully disabled the black ink monitoring.
The printer should now resume normal operation. If it doesn't, check your task tray (bottom of monitor) for any new printer related messages that require attention...like this one.
- Your printer will not stop when ink runs out. Top cartridges up regularly.
- There is no way to disable the monitor for cartridges not recognised as empty yet.
- You will have to repeat above process for each cartridge that registers empty.
- Fitting a new ink cartridge in printer will enable the ink monitoring again.
Need more info? Contact us